Meet 2nd Assistant Chief, Jeremy Coons
FEATURED MEMBER OF THE MONTH
2nd Assistant Chief Jeremy Coons
Member since July 2008
Jeremy was born and raised in the Lake George-Queensbury region, and is a third generation firefighter of Bay Ridge. He currently resides in Queensbury with his wife Krista, and just had a beautiful daughter Riley last July. He's been a Corrections Officer for the Warren County Sheriff's Office for the last 7 years. During the little off time that he has he spends time with his family, and hunting with his father, uncle, and cousin.
1. When did you join Bay Ridge? How much did you know about firefighting at the time? What was your biggest challenge during your probationary period?
I joined Bay Ridge in July of 2008. At the time I didn't know much other than what I had observed growing up from my father and grandfather. I'd say my biggest challenge the first year was getting over my fear of heights and climbing on roofs.
2. Why did you choose to volunteer?
I chose to volunteer because I wanted to give back to my community. I also wanted to follow my family's lead and become a third generation firefighter.
3. What is your favorite part of the job?
My favorite part of the job is helping someone in need and trying to make a difference in their lives.
4. Do you have a fondest memory of your career, thus far?
My fondest memories would have to be spending the last 11 years doing fire prevention along side my father.
5. Do you have a favorite specialization, or type of drill, that you prefer to focus on?
One of my favorite types of drills would be drafting because it makes you think.
6. Could you provide some advice for someone who may be thinking about volunteering?
Volunteering is a lot of work, but the reward from helping someone in their time of need makes it all worth it.